A couple of days ago I spotted Richard Fox’s Beer and Food book going cheap so decided to order it and see what it was like. I’ve only had a quick flick through so there will be a proper review of it soon, but in the meantime I decided to make his beer mashed potatoes to go with our bangers on Sunday night.
It did seem like a bit of a waste of beer but the flavour of the mash was worth it, The recipe suggested using Old Speckled Hen so that’s what I did, A little bit of the bitterness came through as did the beer flavour, which I think added a nice twist to the dish, it would also work quite well with a touch of mustard in too.
I used my potato ricer instead of mashing it, so once the butter had melted I removed it from the heat and riced the potatoes into it.
- 600g Potatoes
- 60g butter
- 90ml milk
- 300ml beer
- 300ml water
- Peel and dice the potatoes, place in a pan, cover with the water and beer, season with a good pinch of salt.
- Boil until the potatoes are soft, then drain well.
- Melt the butter and milk in the pan then add the potatoes back into the pan and mash well.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve with your choice of bangers and gravy.
If you want to try the book for your self you can find it on Amazon here.