This simple recipe for beef and mushroom casserole was sent in for the cooking with beer competition I thought it sounded delicious, thanks to Melanie for sending it in.
Melanie also said it makes a great filling for a pie.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 500g braising beef, seasoned with a little salt and pepper
- 2 thin streaky bacon rashers, diced
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 125g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 tsp sugar
- 200ml Beer (i like to use Bellringer!)
- 300ml beef stock
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tsp corn flour mixed in a little water
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan. Add the beef in batches and brown, for about 5 minutes, and set aside.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil and the bacon, and cook until starting to colour. Add onion, carrot, garlic, mushrooms and sugar, and cook for 15 minutes or until soft and browned.
- Add the stock, beer, bay leaves, thyme and the reserved beef. Keep on a low heat and covered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Heat the oven to 180C. Add the corn flour mixture, remove the lid, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Pour the beef mixture into a casserole, cover, and put in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove and serve!